If you are looking to set up a website or blog successfully, you need to find the right hosting plan. Amongst the many hosting set-ups available today, shared hosting is quite popular. This is because shared hosting plans are inexpensive and are also easy to manage. With the right kind of back-end support offered by the hosting provider, novice webmasters and small entrepreneurs can kick-start their website with minimal fuss.
Benefits at a Glance
Under the eco-system of shared web hosting, small businesses and moderately trafficked websites can flourish optimally. Some notable benefits of shared hosting plans are listed as under:
- Ideal hosting solution for companies operating on small budget
- With shared hosting, business or website owners won’t ever have to worry about server management, software updates and security fixes
- Thanks to cPanel, novice webmasters can perform tasks like adding new content to the website, responding to customer queries conveniently
Linux Versus Windows: Which one to pick?
Once you have decided to use a shared hosting plan, you again face two options, Linux versus Windows. Both are web hosting solutions that allow the hosting of highly secure and scalable websites. Each OS has its own advantages and pitfalls, but both are equally capable, powerful platforms for hosting websites of any scale and complexity.
However, unless your web product is built around the Windows ecosystem and you have substantial expertise in working on it, a Linux web server is more than capable of fulfilling your web hosting needs.
Attributes of Linux Servers:
- Linux server is ideal for big and small websites alike. The platform supports Apache Web Server, MySQL, PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby on Rails, Litespeed, FFMpeg
- Linux is a secure platform and it has been proven time and again. The server is protected with IP Tables Firewall. Potent email solutions are also available with Linux
- Many big players use Linux for the same reason. Big tech companies like Google, IBM, Facebook, Wikipedia, etc. have hosted their web products and websites on Linux distros
- The platform supports cPanel/WHM Web Control Panel Integration, which means advanced control panel at your disposal
- Linux is compatible with most software and CMS options including WordPress, Magento, Drupal, etc.
Shared hosting is a win-win situation for website owners as well as the host. While the customer pays less for the shared hosting plan, the host saves on the operation cost, having hosted several clients on a single server. Therefore, it’s not a surprise why shared hosting plans have a reasonable price tag. Having stated that, opt for a hosting provider who is known to offer reliable web hosting service. This is relevant for the following 3 reasons –
- Protects you from sharing space with a potential spammer
- A reliable hosting provider means good customer support
- Your business is exposed to a favorable and supportive environment to grow
At the same time you need to introspect and have a clear picture of your own needs. Pay attention to the following aspects of your business or website:
- Analyze your needs: If you opt for shared web hosting, you will only get a certain amount of storage space. Therefore, you must carefully evaluate your needs and see if the space offered by the chosen hosting plan is enough to meet the requirements of your website. If you choose shared hosting, you should know how much bandwidth you are allocated and how much your website will need.
- Pay attention to Security: Security is a very important aspect of any website or product, especially when you are running an e-store. In this case, your customers’ contact information, credit card info should be kept safe at any cost. To prevent instances of data breach choose a service provider who is renowned for its server security.
- Think long term: Don’t opt for a shared hosting plan for a period as short as 6 months. Instead, opt for a plan that can sustain your business for at least 2 years. This will help you save some money as well as prevent unnecessary data migration within a short time.