Facebook wants to get involved in every conversation you have with friends and loved ones. The social media giant announced that its AI-powered feature called “M” will suggest features to use during conversation.
The Messenger will suggest or recommend a “bye-bye” GIF if someone is saying goodbye for example or suggest its payments feature if you write “You owe me $20” during conversation.
Video Credit: https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2017/04/m-now-offers-suggestions-to-make-your-messenger-experience-more-useful-seamless-and-delightful/
“Today we’re excited to announce the launch of suggestions from M to everyone in the US. M is your helpful assistant in Messenger, powered by artificial intelligence. M offers suggestions by popping into an open conversation to suggest relevant content and capabilities to enrich the way people communicate and get things done,” Laurent Landowski and Kemal El Moujahid, Product Managers, Messenger said in a post on Thursday.
How it works: according to TechCrunch, Facebook’s AI assistant will privately interject the suggestions above the redesigned one-line message composer in your Messenger conversations. The good thing is, the other person at the other end [the person you are having the conversation with] won’t see the outcome unless you allow it.
From just being a small artificial intelligence powered by humans a little over a year ago, Facebook said “M” has learned a lot and has developed into a useful feature help users during chats.
“We learned a lot and these interactions have enabled us to build a completely automated version of M that suggests helpful actions in your chat, exposing features people may not have known were available right in Messenger. Suggestions from M has been testing with a small percentage of users for the past few months — and it has been a great success — today we’re expanding it to all Messenger users in the US.”
As it is, M is still learning and expanding its dictionary; but boasts the ability to do a lot of things for you during conversation. Some of these things include:
- Sending stickers: M shares fun sticker suggestions for your daily life interactions like “Thank you” or “Bye-bye.”
- Paying or requesting money: M recognizes when people are discussing payments and gives them the option of easily sending or requesting money.
- Sharing your location: M can suggest an option to share your location during a conversation.
- Making plans: If people are talking about getting together, M helps coordinating a plan.
- Starting a poll (in group conversations only): Have a hard time making decisions in a group? M lets you set a poll topic and vote in group conversations.
- Getting a Ride: Talking about going somewhere? M suggests “Get A Ride” and shares an option of Lyft or Uber.
The AI-powered M has already rolled out to both iOS and Android users in the US today, and Facebook said more countries will soon be able to access the feature.
Powered by machine learning, Facebook said it’s bringing M “technology to support and enhance the Messenger experience and make it more useful, personal and seamless.”
Got something to add to this story? You can share it by using the comment box below.