Facebook bans ads promoting weapon accessories in the US during and after inauguration

Share the joy
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Image Credit: Newsweek

Facebook on Saturday announced a ban on ads promoting weapons accessories in the US during inauguration and days after it. This, according to the social media giant is out of “an abundance of caution.”

“We already prohibit ads for weapons, ammunition and weapon enhancements like silencers. But we will now also prohibit ads for accessories such as gun safes, vests and gun holsters in the US,” Facebook said on Saturday in an official announcement.

The social media behemoth is also doing a “secondary review” of all inauguration-related events and will get rid of those that violate its rules. Facebook is also intensifying its policy of blocking pages and accounts based outside the US from creating events located in the US.

In the days since the Capitol Hill attack, platforms like Twitter, TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram and the likes have taken different measures guard against violence. One of such measures including suspension to outright ban of accounts promoting misinformation online.

Last week, Twitter got rid of 70,000 accounts in three days. These were accounts that had to do with QAnon; with Twitter announcing that it ramped up its enforcement following last week’s Capitol Hill insurrection.

“Given the violent events in Washington, DC, and increased risk of harm, we began permanently suspending thousands of accounts that were primarily dedicated to sharing QAnon content on Friday afternoon,” Twitter wrote in a blog post. “Since Friday, more than 70,000 accounts have been suspended as a result of our efforts, with many instances of a single individual operating numerous accounts. These accounts were engaged in sharing harmful QAnon-associated content at scale and were primarily dedicated to the propagation of this conspiracy theory across the service.”

Facebook also announced that it will ban all mentions of “stop the steal” on its platform. This is coming on the heels of last week’s Capitol Hill invasion that led to the death of at least five people. The social media giant said that all mentions of “stop the steal” on Facebook and Instagram will be taken down.

This is a new policy, and will obviously take some time to take effect; but the company said it has already started the process. Facebook said a significant number of such mentions have already been removed, and even more will be taken down ahead of the January 20 date.

All political ads remain suspended, while the restrictions placed on posts in Facebook groups with history of encouraging hate speech will continue unchanged. This has become even more necessary considering the events that occurred last week in Washington where some Trump supporters invaded the Capitol Hill. That unfortunate occurrence led to loss of lives—with five people reportedly losing their lives.


Share the joy
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Author: Ola Ric

Ola Ric is a professional tech writer. He has written and provided tons of published articles for professionals and private individuals. He is also a social commentator and analyst, with relevant experience in the use of social media services.

Share This Post On