Now that you know why social media matters for your business, the next item on your checklist is to build presence as effectively as you can.
“Why is this important?” you ask.
If you are new to social media, you tend to sign up for all social networking channels. You must avoid this mistake.
An effective marketing strategy never loses focus on its target audience. If you spend time and resources across all social media sites, you risk inconsistency and mismanagement.
Knowing Your Boundaries
Across-the-board management of social media will take more than one head to accomplish. Be realistic. You must know your boundaries. Unless you have a dedicated team of managers, you cannot allot enough time to participate regularly and build presence.
In addition, your potential customers spend most of their online time on one or two social media sites only. With their busy schedules and daily routines, they will focus on sites that share their interest and demographics.
The internet houses resources to help decide the right social channels for your business. We suggest that you focus on who and where your customers are. Think of your customers first, and your company next.
Building Presence on Social Media
Now that you have determined which social media sites to focus on. The next step is to start developing your brand’s profile for the chosen sites.
Netizens don’t want to waste time. If they find boring content, they will not hesitate to leave or close your website. Their attention span last only a few seconds.
To avoid this, you must come up with fresh, captivating content that will pique their curiosity.
A strong brand presence strikes shared emotions with your target audience. Hence, always think about and empathize with potential customers in your overall strategy.
Your social media profiles and pages must have intriguing visuals and tailored content to keep your readers hooked. In turn, this will generate leads for your business.
A Few Tips
To build presence using social media for business, you need the following:
- Effective Visuals — Grab the attention of potential customers thru powerful graphics. Allow your target audience to know more about you and your company visually. And always feature your business and offers on every social media page.
- Consistent Voice/Style — Find and stick to an active voice and unique style when posting updates.
- Relevant Content — Create relevant visuals and written content that convey a clear brand message to your followers.
- Standard Processes — Develop a standard of communication (and house rules) on your pages. It will help when you have a social media team to manage.
- Clear Parameters — Establish guidelines for content type on your social media pages.
Your social media pages are extensions of your official website. Thus, you must allot time and effort into the aesthetics of your pages on the outset. You must focus on grabbing the attention of first-time visitors. They will become your followers and potential customers.
In the end, the benefits of social media for your business greatly outweighs its disadvantages. If you want to build presence online, you are on the right track with social media.
Image courtesy of Dwayne Bent