Chromebooks is becoming more and more popular. They are the second most popular PC operating system in the US and in Q1 of this year, Chromebooks topped Macs in overall shipments. And if you wonder how that happened the answer is simple. Chromebook is very easy to handle, it has virus protection and automatic updates are built-in, so you don’t have to manage your computer. The increasing demand and popularity of Chromebooks is going to bring more exciting features, that will make users very happy.
And Google felt what the audience really needs and announced they are going to bring Google Play to Chromebooks. This means that everyone with a Chromebook you’ll be able to download and use Android apps. You are going to make a Skype call, work with Office files and be productive offline — or take a break with games like Minecraft, Hearthstone or Clash of Clans. The apps that you can find run on smartphones and tablets can now run without compromising their speed, simplicity or security.
This is good for users and great for developers. In addition to phones and tablets, they will be able to easily bring their apps to laptops. Chromebooks have always been about making computing more accessible for everyone, and by bringing together the best of Android and Chrome OS, is a huge step for laptops.
Google Play will start rolling out in the developer channel with M53 on the ASUS Chromebook Flip, the Acer Chromebook R 11 and the latest Chromebook Pixel. Over time, this will roll out to other Chromebooks in the market too.
Developers can start to optimize their app for Chromebook in advance. The launch is scheduled later in 2016. Here are some of the benefits of making apps for Chromebooks:
- Android Apps can be shown in 3 different window sizes to allow the best experience
- Users can multi-task with multiple Android apps in moveable windows along with a full desktop browser, all within the familiar Chrome OS interface.
- Keyboard, mouse, and touch input will seamlessly work together
- Users will get Android notifications on their Chromebooks
- Android apps benefit from the Wifi or Bluetooth connectivity setup by the user or the administrator
- File sharing is seamless between Chrome and Android apps through the Files app
- Performance of demanding apps such as games or design apps is excellent
Chromebooks is one of the best devices on the market right now. And one more reason that is very popular in schools and businesses is that you can centrally manage and configure them with 200+ policies. You can manage apps on Chromebooks using the same Admin Console.
Image source: Google